Microsoft Teams, reportedly the fastest growing app from Microsoft, has been around for nearly two years now. It is known as the hub for teamwork in Office 365 providing call, chat, videos and meetings, Microsoft Teams is the integration of a number of Microsoft Office programs, including OneDrive for Business, SharePoint, and OneNote. It is replacing Skype for Business. It is sometimes referred to as a simplified SharePoint.
Microsoft Teams allows you to manage your organisations’ communications through:
- Share and collaborate on files.
- Messaging including persistent 1:1 private and group chat.
- Provide voice and video calling.
- It also closely integrates with other programs, including Outlook, Planner and third-party products.
If you are currently using Skype for Business, you will receive a message that “Your upgrade to Teams is scheduled” to Microsoft Teams. Generally, you receive a few weeks’ notice. If you have been using Skype for Business as part of a standalone subscription or as part of Office 365 Business Essentials, Business Premium, Enterprise E1 or Enterprise E3 subscription, you will receive the message in the coming months.
We strongly encourage beginning preparations to move to Teams as soon as possible by:
- having Microsoft Teams installed on your computers and devices (as after the upgrade, Skype for Business no longer will operate)
- provide your staff training on how to use Teams.
If you are in need of assistance to undertake this upgrade, or are not already using Teams and would like some training, CyberGuru can provide help with this as well. Please contact us for more information.